Thursday, March 18, 2010

Big Green MONSTAH

The Big Green MONSTAH is the 37' 2" green wall behind left field at Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox.  Today, St. Patrick's Day, I wore my 'GREEN MONSTAH' shirt my Aunt (prounounced ANT to all you non-Texans) Marlene sent me.  Actually, her name is Maureen but Kait has never been able to say it correctly so 'Aunt Marlene' it is and she is fine with that. 

Boston, Cape Cod, Lowell, Dracut, Tyngsborough...I love it there!  My dream would be to build a cottage on the beach in Orleans or Chatham, MA.  Yep, that's where I am in my dreams.  It is like heaven on earth.  The Chatham Coffee Co, Ben Franklin's, Cape Cod Potato Chips, lighthouses, lobster ('lobstah' to my fellow Texans) and last, but certainly not least, The Christmas Tree Shops!! I love that place way too much.  It took me an extra suitcase to get back to Houston after a little shopping adventure there. 

You can't tell by my TEXAS accent, ya'll, but I was actually born at Ft. Devens, MA. My dad was in the Air Force, stationed at Hanscom AFB but there wasn't a hospital on base and we were sent to Ft. Devens for delivery. 13 months later my brother, Richie, was born and a few months after that we were back in Texas.


Oh, yes, back to my story.  Lobstah, Monstah ~ They don't have the letter 'r' in MA.  You can even ask my Aunt Mahlene!!  However, her grandson Tylah's name for her is Naner.  They just take out the letter 'r' at will and add it at random.  Cracks me up!  I have to be really careful though, Ant Mahlene is the one who crammed 100 lbs. of The Christmas Tree Shops treasures into the extra suitcase, so I just call her 'Queen'. 

Queen Mahlene's husband, Dube, now there's a real King for ya!  What a treasure that Dube is.  Do you know he can spot a french fry on the grass from 50 feet away?  Very observant.  And maticulous...every single thing has its own place and in that place it goes.  Including the blue, speckled, Texas plate I gave them which hangs above the sink.  When it falls into the sink, scaring him to death, he's reminded of how loved he is and puts it right back above the sink only to scare him another day.  And record keeping...he knows how much his weekly groceries were back in July of '78.  However, I must say the jewel in his crown is...he knows where EVERY Christmas Tree Shops store is within a 50 mile radius.  Now that is pure genius to me.

I almost took a teaching job in Hudson, MA. but finally decided to stay in Texas for the time being.  Maybe next year Kait and I will live in MA.  Think I could talk my parents in to going with us?  Nahhh, probably not.

Hugs, ya'll,

Karen and Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment